Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

GAMES! Goals?

GAMES! Goals?2011-07-11T15:21:58+00:00
Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)
  • Author

Carrie

I have decided to make a little challenge for myself! Here I want to post what my goal is, when I want to do it, and then keep myself accountable to you lovely people! If you have any advice on how you’ve done it, what worked or didnt work please let me know! Im terrible with goals! I repel them!

First challenge: to get all my laundry done, and my laundry room in a way that makes sense! My days off are Wednesday and Thursday! How will I carry it out… Set myself a little timer to race against (since I love to play games and race time). Also will try to get it all done before my husband gets home from work. I LOVE to surprise him with things like that! Let me rephrase the “i WILL TRY” part to “I WILL”. No tries for me. Im just gonna do it! like jumping into a lake instead of slowly torturing myself with the long slow walk in!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have to clean out my rental storage unit by this Saturday, so my goal is to do it this Wednesday. That way, if I run into snags (or procrastinate, my usual style), I have a few extra days to get it done. That’s a technique I use a lot, set my deadline for a few days or a week before I have to have it done, because there are always other things that conspire against me! (including my own impulsive or procrastinating behaviour).

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Hey great idea Carrie,

My goal is to be regular with my FInancial updates. Like maybe every Monday and Friday. I’ve never picked a specific date before so maybe that will work. I am going away tomorrow but will have internet access so I can still download to my computer from the bank so no excuses. But I am behind despite the hasslebot reminders because I ignored them but at least it stayed in the back of my mind and didn’t let my guilty consious ignore it completely. Usually I only schedule a random day so maybe regularity will make it stick! It;s on my list for today anyway so am starting after I hit post here!

Carrie for my Laundry room which also doubles as a utility room, I put hooks for things like brooms,mop, scissors, and misc items and then labeled their spot with a labeling machine. It looks really cool and is a real motivator to put things back in place. I used the scissors at one point while labeling then started to put them down in the folding area but stopped myself and put them where they belonged. Same for my shelves for cleaning supplies and all the other stuff that’s supposed to be there. Just finished the labeling part this morning so won’t know for sure for a while how that works out. But I’m psyched because now my folding area is actually clear of junk! That’s been years since it’s like that. The crazy thing is it wasn’t even a big deal to do this, not as much stuff that didn’t belong there as I thought. Everything was mostly in disorder all over the shelves. So don’t know why I put it off so long!

no_dopamine, another thing that worked for me recently s with a big project I dread, I’ve planned it out and calculated the required time. Then figured how many days I had free and scheduled in two hours at a time or whatever fit in my days. THis way It wasn’t so overwhelming and I didn’t feel so bad stopping and starting because I knew I had already scheduled another session.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Nellie,

I am completely unable to estimate time for any task. I either do it all at once or don’t do it. So breaking it up into small chunks of time is good for me – if I decide to devote only 15 minutes to a task, I’ll stop either at 15 minutes or when I’ve reasonably completed what can be done in that time (ie – cleaning the toilet, no sense in stopping halfway when the time is up). But I can’t estimate time at all, I am pretty sure I have a math learning disorder and I’m learning how to accept that and work around it.

I agree, it’s too easy to ignore hasslebot. I have been using it to hassle me anyway, but what seems to work is tagging a specific day for some activities that need to be done regularly on a weekly basis. So cleaning the toilet and laundry are on the weekend. Still have to clean the toilet, though!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ugh! I am not game to set a goal cos I am that bad at getting things done. Actually, maybe I do have one. I will say that I will go shopping on the weekend for the shelving units hubby is letting me buy. I really need more ADHD friendly storage space at home to help get mess off the floor and out of piles, so they will benefit me greatly, as well as I will not be letting him down by putting it off.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

No_Dop – there is a math disorder that affects time sense, but ADHD also affects it too. I am also shocking at estimating time. I go the opposite of most ADDers and I overestimate time a lot. I always arrive early (unless my son holds me up!) because I think it will take me X amount of time to get somewhere, and I then allow Y more in case traffic is bad, and then add Z for parking, and more again in case I have to walk further than planned. So I end up half an hour early to many things. If the trip is a routine, then I end up refining the timing and get more accurate, though I still tend to arrive a bit early. I also always allow myself an hour to get ready. Always. It was the amount of time my mum allowed us as kids when getting ready for school and it has stuck with me for life. I feel anxious and don’t sleep if I have set my alarm and not allowed the hour, because I worry I won’t fit everything in. Even though I know an hour is much too long for just me (without the kids) to get ready now I am an adult, I have no idea how much time I could cut it back by and still be ready to leave on time.

On the other hand, I do underestimate the time it takes to do something I am procrastinating about, and end up pulling all nighters to get things done, but I don’t know how much of that is because I don’t correctly estimate time and how much is because I waste the time by not using it effectively. Probably both.

Overall, I am not good with time, so I tend not to set time related goals for things if I can help it. But deciding to do 15 minutes of a chore is a good idea. I might have to try that. I normally just do a chore/job until it’s done or I get distracted, and put off what I don’t find time for. But 15 minutes each of a few different chores would make a big difference to our house, but not seem too overwhelming to accomplish.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m either very early (compensating) or late (thinking I can get out the door and get there with no traffic, etc).

One day I just decided to set the timer for 15 minutes and my husband and I decluttered and dusted the living room. We didn’t get it finished, but it was nice seeing how much we got done, and the fact that we would have a time limit on it. Usually I would want to finish it and it would take hours and days …

REPORT ABUSE

nellie

Well the psychologist who did the ADD assessment mentioned the ADD and time issue. She actually had this thing where she would get me to guess when 10 minutes are up. Only did it once or twice with her but she suggested practicing that. The other thing she suggested I do was when estimating add in at least 40% error factor. I also bought a digital watch that has a timer function and I wear that all the time now. When I’m doing something I always set it at 10 minutes. It really has been helping me keep on track and notice how much time is passing.

Also since taking the Vyvanse it seems there’s so much more time in the day. Haven’t figured out why – if it’s that I’m getting more done efficiently and it’s leaving me more time in the day. Anyway, must say this is really a bonus! Always said they should make days longer :-)

oh, almost forgot the point of this post in the first place – managed to get the financial update goal underway this morning!

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Ooooooh Nellie! (I was waiting for an opportunity to say that. it just goes so good!) Good for you! Thats awesome! I will try hooks and having a special place for everything! Maybe if I become obsessive about where things are placed then they will stay! hahaha

Krazy – You sound like my husband. He has no sense of time. Hes either a hour to half hour early or hes late. And he really is. It irritates me when I ask him how long he thinks he will be… He tells me a half hour… 3 hours later hes still not home or done. So now when he tells me “uh… I think 20mins” I say “okay see ya in a few hours” hahaha I am a bit obsessive over time (how I coped with it) and so I am exact. My wrist watch is set to the exact time of my cell phone. My car is exactly 3mins ahead. Then my alarm clock is exactly 9mins ahead. I am very fussy about time. If I dont have my watch on I lose track of time, so I make sure to wear it. I am very lost without it. I remember while in highschool timing my music from my CD player to the exact time it took to get to school. I had the order of songs it would be, I would keep track of the half way point and what time we left and when we got there. Im such a loser hahaha

No Dopamine – I like that idea of breaking it up. I think thats whay im going to do tomorrow first thing in the morning. Spend 30mins on my laundry. Then 30mins digging up the Lilacs I was suppose to today! Im going med free this week, and so far its just been funny the changes ive seen!

Oh oh oh!!! I LOVE sticky notes!! I am going to write one up RIGHT NOW so as soon as I wake up BAM!!! My goals for the day! That way I wont forget! I always forget!

I now work Wednesday, the day I set my goal to get things done on. Starting tomorrow will eat a bit of the laundry, then Wednesday do a good bulk, Thursday, tie it all up!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

My joke in the workplace was that I needed a velcro vest so I could attach notes of things I was supposed to do. My second monitor on the desk actually does look like my profile picture.

You go, Nellie!

I did laundry on Sunday, and it’s all folded and put away, and the laundry baskets are empty and in the laundry room (ok, one of them is, the other has some blankets that need to be put away). Not my goal for this week, but it’s good to get that all done. The videos on folding stuff inspired me to actually do it. I still can’t figure out the 2 second tshirt fold, but I did fold a gazillion tshirts.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

Well I am off to do some laundry! I got that 2 second folding down, but I still cant stand it! Im bringing a big garbage bag with me in hopes to get rid of almost all the laundry. hahahahaha My husband hates that I throw everything out… But really? He always says “I will use it one day!” pfffff Yeah.. You’ve been saying that for the last 7 years! Got my rubber gloves on, hair tied back! Im ready for battle wish me luck!

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

I now have a floor in my closet again! I havent folded the laundry, but have sorted it all!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have put aside my laptop for the night and done some more knitting, whilst listening to an audiobook (gotta love working night shift!!). I have just allowed myself a little time online now to catch up on things here, but I am now too tired to knit and would likely stuff something up if I kept going! Have a list of what I am going to buy furniture-wise, and now I have to measure the spaces where things are to go so I know what size shelving units to get. I’m not really sure when I will find time to go shopping, but I am determined to do it ASAP.

REPORT ABUSE

Carrie

I have found out that my Aunt and cousin will be here Friday, so thats an awesome motivation to get things done! ive already sorted the laundry, now will work on putting it away in a new way!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wed 3:30 pm – storage unit is empty, swept (twice) and locks removed. Mission accomplished! but I was almost enticed into postponing it – distractions never end 😉

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)