Dr. Umesh Jain is now exclusively responsible for TotallyADD.com and its content

Funniest ADD Moment — What's yours?

Funniest ADD Moment — What's yours?2010-12-02T04:49:22+00:00

The Forums Forums Most X-treme! Funny Funniest ADD Moment — What's yours?

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • Author

Lindstr7

I’m sure I got my ADD from my father. One year we were driving to florida for christmas vacation. We stopped at a gas station at night and everyone was asleep but my dad and my brother who got out to go to the restroom. My dad got the gas and we were on the way again. Well, by the time we got to Georgia, we all realized someone was missing. My Dad forgot my brother at the gas station. Drove all the way back to FL to get the poor guy, who had the saddest look on his face sitting by the vending machine eating chips for breakfast. Done lots of dumb stuff but I never left my kid two states away (yet). :)

REPORT ABUSE

Lindstr7

Opps South carolina, not GA. :O

REPORT ABUSE

jpsimard

Okay, okay, okay! I have a new one! And it’s HILARIOUS. I got a number of Indigo/Chapters/(BOOKSTORE) gift cards for my birthday this past Monday. So I went out to buy myself “You mean I’m not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?!” at Indigo all excited. I made sure to bring my wallet AND the gift card, heck, I even made it out the door with my coat, shoes and other clothing on, along with my cellphone and car keys. I was on a ROLL.

So then I drove to Indigo… went in, looked up the book on their system, went straight to the correct section, found the book, and then went over to the cash feeling pleased as much. Here is what happened next:

Cashier: “Oh hey! Good to see you again.”

Me: “Yeah, you too, what’s new?”

Cashier: “Same old, you know.”

Me: “Isn’t that the truth.”

Cashier: “So, that’ll be $24.60.”

Me: “Awesome, I have a gift card for twenty right here!”

At this point I confidently reach into the pocket I remember putting the card and… (you knew it), it’s not there! So I start casually patting down all my pockets and then it dawns on me! I’m a very tall man (6’5) and I drive a Nissan Sentra (small car), so sometimes when I drive I take things out of my pocket that distract me. I laugh, and look at the cashier.

Me: “Totally ironic… I left my gift card in the car. I’ll be right back!”

The cashier laughs too, pleased that I’m amused… and I go out and grab the gift card. I come back in, and a line has formed, so I wait patiently in line, congratulating myself at all the good work I’m doing with my cognitive behavioral therapy (I HATE LINES). I get to the front, and produce my gift card.

Me: “Alrighty! Let’s do this.” – I proclaim.

Cashier: “Excellent, so that’s just… $4.60.”

At this point I reach into my pocket for my wallet. Which I took out of my pocket. And left in the car. And laugh nervously.

Me: “You wouldn’t believe it…”

Cashier: “No!”

Me: “Yes!”

Cashier: “The car?!”

Me: “YES!”

At which point we both burst into hysterical laughter. The other two people in the store look at us like we’re crazy, and I go back out to the car, wiping away tears of laughter. I go back in, complete the transaction and make a joke about how it looks like the book is a good purchase after all.

Honestly, it was one of the funniest things that’s happened to me, ADDwise, in awhile. Totally an ADDventure of my own!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ha, that’s the same book that I almost left in my story!

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe, we should collectively write a book? :D

This is one of my personal favorites for some reason and it happened to me years ago.

I let my wife off somewhere downtown and started circling the block till she came out. She took longer than usual and when she finally showed up, she explained that she took so long because it took her a while, and some luck IIRC, to find me circling the wrong block.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am very fortunate in my best friend, as she is not only a Therapist, but she is also has an ADHD brother AND son, so she is pretty tolerant with me.

Anyway, I was on the phone with her the other day while I was driving, and I said this, “So, anyway, I called because I had something important to tell you. I talked to- hey, I’ve never seen a bird THAT color before!”

her: “What?”

me: “This bird just flew by that was completely yellow. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Her: “Didn’t take your pill today, huh? What was the important thing you had to tell me?”

me: “….. I have no idea.”

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

curleymoe: I totally get the shower thing because it happens to me all the time, I have to do things in a very specific order or I completely forget. As part of my morning meditation, I do some energy circulations sitting down, I have to do three and I completely lose where I am each time, so I bend a finger each time I get through one of them. That’s if I don’t fall asleep in the middle of them.

I think I posted this somewhere else: the dentist’s office called recently and I spoke to them about my appointment, then my husband wanted to talk to them but couldn’t find the other phone. I said “I can give you mine” and then said to the receptionist that I was on a “headless phone” – of course I meant wireless headset phone, but I mixed it up and came up with something else, that happens a lot.

The silliest thing my husband and I did recently was go to the movie theatre very close to what we thought was the time of the movie we wanted to see (my husband doesn’t like sitting through the trailers and commercials). We bought our tickets (no lineups, great!), walked into the theatre, it was totally dark and the movie had already started. We found a couple of seats and after a little while realized that it was well into the movie and the ending was about to be spoiled. We walked out and sat on the benches outside the theatre inside and waited about an hour before we could go in for the next showing. Neither one of us could read our watches properly although we knew what the start-time of the movie was.

Another time we showed up late again (4:45, I think) and the next showing was 10 pm so we just went home.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s a UPS Store-y:

Decided to print off some flyers I designed.

– Drove to the UPS Store. I forgot the memory thumb key.

– Drove home and got it, went back to the UPS Store. I had forgotten to transfer the files TO the memory thumb key from my computer.

– Drove home and transferred the files to the memory thumb key and drove back.

3 trips total.

Another time, with the SAME memory thumb key, we couldn’t get it to work. My husband told me later that it was upside down (it’s a special one by Verbatim that is very tiny, no indicator light, and the gold contacts need to be facing UP, not down, for it to work properly). Since I had left it to the very last minute, there was not enough time to get home & back, so no printouts. :(

REPORT ABUSE

memzak

I had a part time job a few years ago working two days a week. I got through the first few weeks ok but then one wednesday I just forgot to go to work. I got a call from the boss finally and realized I had totally lost track of what day of the week it was! I forgot again a couple of weeks later but remembered and went in late and nearly forgot 2 or 3 other times and always on wednesday but each time was only an hour or two late.

I have to tell you about posting this and this is not the first time this has happened. I clicked on this subject and read a whole section and thought i a couple of things that happened to me that were funny and wanted to post them. Example of ADD and distorted time. I got distracted by something else and ended up on another website and then remembered that I wanted to post something and tried to go back. I had timed out on the free internet I was using.

I had to log back into the internet then back into this site, find the forum I was reading. didnt really recognize it but read a whole bunch more then decided to post again, got to the reply area and my daughter called to be picked up. So I shut down, pick her up, come back to the free Wifi, login to internet and site read a whole bunch more then decided to post again, cant remember all of the funnier story although its a lot like the UPS story, spend about a 1/2 hour composing post, hit send and I had been timed out again!

GRRRR

I am all loged in again and typing. I dont think its been two hours again. This is not the first time i have spent hours trying to post something. I spent 2 hours writing a very long post only to lose it because i had lost my connection.

My daughter keeps telling my “copy pastie is your friend” meaning to write this in a program like wordpad then copy and paste it here which i did a lot before they fixed the posting spaces so nicely. Now i think thats just an extra step why bother?

My other story was about leaving the house. I was having a terribly ADD morning running back and forth and freaking out trying to get to work. I finally got out the front door and to the car. I had forgotten my coffee cup and went back in to get it. I got back to the car, got in and turned the key then remembered I had forgotten something else more important. I got to the front door and realized I had left my keys in the car so I had to go back to the car to get my keys. Then i could return to the house to get the other thing i forgot and leave. I was two hours late for work that day.

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Probably right now, signing up XP “What is 2 + 7?”

I was all, “Its.. eight… no.. NINE! I… think?”

I had a lot of funny moments, but getting excited about answering this question has made me forget all the times… O_O

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ahh!!! Another one! When I was in 2nd grade, I had this pencil that I got from a pack of pencils for my birthday goodie-bags. One of my classmates saw it and wanted one ( I told her I had a pack) and I told her I’d give it to her tomorrow. So the next day, I came to school, and had forgotten to bring the pencil. So I promised I would give it to her tomorrow. This whole cycle happened until about a few months later, I finally brought the pencil with me to the car. But, I forgot to bring it with me to school. So, it turns out, I never gave the pencil to that poor girl….

REPORT ABUSE

Anonymous
    Inactive

NOT funny to me BUT … First time using a new service provider payroll program at work (where you input the hours etc and a few days later the cheques get sent out) – I paid everybody but myself! 😳

REPORT ABUSE

sdwa
    Participant

Well, it isn’t really FUNNY, exactly – but aside from leaving my car running with the keys in it while I went grocery shopping, and aside from almost burning the house down while engaged in a craft project, making candles – and aside from showing up for an appointment a week early (but at the right time of day!) – and aside from having to climb into my car through the trunk because I’d parked too close to two other cars to get the door open….

There was this one day, riding the bus in to work, everything seems fine, and when the driver pulls into my stop downtown, I get up and start walking down the aisle. I hear someone in the back of the bus call out, “Hey! Your dress is in your panties!” I’d gotten the hem of my skirt tucked into the back of my tights, I guess when I was using the bathroom before leaving the house. I’m just grateful I heard about it on the bus instead of walking down the street. Woo woo! Flash Dance!

REPORT ABUSE

memzak

I just thought of another funny and embarassing ADD moment this morning. I went to a business school for a year back in 1995. During orientation the instructor said something about a “Hump Day” which was the middle of a term where we would celebrate that the term was half over. It was a day of donuts and chatting and storytelling etc. A fun day. Well classes started and one of the teachers was talking about what she expected on each day of the week. Well she called Wednesday “hump day” and I immediately asked will we have donuts on that day. Threw her completely off! Giggles from my classmates and an explanation from the teacher in front of the class that no we do not have donuts each Wednesday, it’s just the middle of the week. Then she went off on how she wished someone would bring here donuts every Wednesday, she wouldn’t mind being waited on, etc. I was 34 years old at the time. I felt like I was 5 years old. It’s funny now but then I was mortified.

REPORT ABUSE

quizzical
    Participant

Not the funniest, perhaps, but the most recent!

Today I took my daughter to our local outdoor pool for her swim lesson. Since we were a bit late (but only a bit, I swear! :) ) I had her run in ahead, which left me with the job of carrying most of the many bags of towels, lunch, and whatnot I always seem to be bringing. As I was checking around, I heard myself say out loud, “What am I forgetting?” Suddenly I’m thinking of a song: “Papa, Can You Hear Me?” (from Yentl, I think?) and I’m singing along with my newly inspired lyrics: “What am I forgetting? Do I have my car keys?” and so on. Next thing I know I’m envisioning this whole ADD-themed musical – wow, how cool that would be….

A couple of hours later, after the lesson, and more swimming, and lunch, we walk out to the car…to discover one of the doors wide open.

At least I figured out what I forgot! :)

REPORT ABUSE
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)